How to be more accepting of change

There is nothing permanent except change-  Heraclitus
These wise words from the Greek philosopher have really stuck with me. If you think about it, change is the only thing that is constant in your life. Everyday, we observe and experience so much diversity. Our core values might stay the same, but there is no denying that we change and we evolve. And whether we like it or not, so do things around us.



I recently experienced some major changes in my life, which has completely pushed me out of my comfort zone. I have been trying my best to cope up with it as much as I can. I want to share some of my thoughts, which have helped the transition, and has made me learn to love and accept this ever changing world that we live in. 

 It's a learning curve.

I know this may end up sounding very cliched, but the best thing about change is, no matter how the experience is, you will always end up better than you started. If it was good, then it was wonderful, if it was bad, then it was an experience. The worst experiences teach you the best things. When I look back at the last few years of my life, if I had been resistant of change, I don't know where or who I would be. Those changes showed me some good days, and a whole lot of bad days. The life lessons you pick up on those crappy days, are the ones that define you and build you. So take it as it comes, you are tough enough to handle this! 

Focus on the bigger picture

Maybe it is change in your lifestyle to get into better shape which might mean cutting out that delicious junk food and exercising. Oh, the horror!  Maybe it is change in your work hours to get that promotion which might mean adapting to work methods you are not totally comfortable with. It helps if you look at the bigger picture and focus on what you will get out of this at the end. The end might not be instantaneous but you will get there. I may not be easy, but it will be worth it. I promise. 

The 5 stages-let's skip a few!

You might be aware of the 5 stages of change. Denial, Anger, Dejection, Acceptance & Learning. It might seem very difficult but I believe the only way to make the transition easy is acceptance. Normal human behaviour might cause feelings of denial, anger and dejection; but the goal is to identify this early on and move onto acceptance as quickly as possible. It is only when you accept the situation the way it is, you can move on and even contemplate learning and development. This is what will ultimately do you good. Just breathe and accept. 

Keep an open mind

Change might occasionally involve meeting new people with very different ideologies and mind-sets than yours. Shunning away from new activites and experiences will make the change very unpleasant and difficult to handle. Best is to be open to new ideas, it may not sound like your cup of tea but trying something new won't kill you. So, keep an open mind. You might hate it, but you will never know unless you try.

Lastly, I am sorry if this article is not as interesting as some of the other ones but this just seemed very appropriate for me right now. There is a lot of advice here for myself to read and re-iterate daily. I believe vocalizing the thought process always helps.

If you are going through major changes in your life, I wish you all the best and hope this helps you in some way. 

Luck and Love,
Niki 

Disclaimer: I do not own these images unless mentioned otherwise.

No comments