Cacao Orange and Cacao Coconut Energy balls

I am very happy to announce, that I have found a perfect pre-workout snack. These energy balls/bars(depending in how you want to shape them) are a perfect cure for sweet tooth cravings, sudden hunger pangs or pre-workout fuel. These are inspired by Nakd and Emma&Tomms energy bars. As much as I love those bars, they cost about 3.50$ each. So, I had to re-create them, which was actually quite easy to do. I chose my two favourite chocolate combinations- Orange and Coconut.

You will need:

  • 1/2 a cup of pitted dates
  • Handful of pitted prunes(optional- but really improves the texture for binding)
  • 2 Tablespoon cacao powder
  • 1 cup nuts( I used walnuts, almonds and cashews but you can use whatever you like) 
  • Some dried orange peel*( Not needed if you are making coconut flavoured balls) or
  • 2 Tablespoon Shredded Coconut( Not needed if you are making orange flavoured balls)
  • A Blender

I have used half of my ingredients with the orange peel and the other half with coconut for the two different flavours.


I started with cacao orange first, so I added my orange peel and half of all the other ingredients to my blender. Blend for about a minute or more depending on your blender capacity. You could always awkwardly smile into the camera like I did here. The consistency should be moldable. Prunes are a little sticky so they really help with the binding. 



Next, I just repeated the same step of blending, except with the coconut instead of orange. I then molded them into small balls. You can also make them into bars, which I have done previously. It depends on your preference. Either way, they are delicious.


Some common questions:

Won't the nuts be too fattening?
The nuts contain fat, but it is the good kind. This type of fat is actually good for the body and will be used as energy thus making it the perfect pre-workout snack. So, it will not end up being stored in your body. The fat in the nuts also keeps you full for longer so it is also great for hunger pangs. I usually have this after work, when I am usually starving and there is still a couple of hours for dinner. 

How do  I get/make orange peel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onVUBAJ-UQM

Will these be sweet enough to taste good?
Yes! Dates and prunes act as great natural sweeteners so you will not need to add any sugar. I am sure you won't crave a chocolate bar after this. 

What if I don't have a strong blender?
If your blender can't crush nuts, I recommend using almond meal instead of nuts because that I basically powdered almonds. You can use almond meal along with the other ingredients and blend them in chunks, it might take a little longer but it is worth the effort :)

If you have any other questions, please ask in the comments. I would love to hear from you.

As always, let me know if you try this out. 

Luck and Love,
Niki




No comments